Window Terminology (k-z)

Window Terminology
The hook-formed piece of hardware that it is mounted on the inside sash stile of a casement window in which the sash lock engages.
Not assembled. Components for a window frame pre-manu¬factured for assembly later on on a job web site.
A projecting molding by the sides and about the top rated of an opening.
Label quit:
Ornamental projection on each individual finish of a label, sill, or sill training course. Typically usually takes the condition of a gargoyle or other decorative carving.
Labeled window:
Home windows bearing hearth-score labels of Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL).
Laminated glass:
Identical to the construction of car or truck windshields, this approach sandwiches a piece of transparent film or plastic amongst two panes of glass. Commonly employed for basic safety explanations because of its resistance to shattering. Also lower noise transmission to the interior.
Lancet window:
Tall, slim window with a pointed-arch top rated, typically with leaded diamond formed lights characteristic of Gothic architecture.
Lattice window (also lozenge):
Window with glazing bars established diagonally.
Direct light (also guide glazing stained glass): Window with tiny panes of glass established in grooved rods of forged guide or arrived. The glass may well be apparent, coloured, or stained.
A cope with or grip mounted on the bottom sash rail of a double-hung window to guide in the raising or reducing of the sash.
Gentle (also lite):
A window a pane of glass within a window. Double-hung home windows are selected by the amount of lights in the higher and lower sash, as in 6-about-6.
Horizontal member (wooden, metal, or stone) about a window opening to help the bodyweight of the wall higher than. A header.
Loop window (also Balistraria):
A extended and slim vertical opening, typically widening inward, minimize in a medieval wall, parapet, or fortification for use by archers. Modifications show up in Roman¬esque Revival architecture.
Minimal-E Glass:
A term employed to refer to glass which has small-emissiv¬ity due to a film or metallic coating on the surface area of the glass. Ordinarily produced of twin, sealed panes of coated glass loaded with pure inert fuel to block ultraviolet heat, for cooling needs, though reflecting home heat again into the home for heating needs.
Laminated Veneer Lumber – A mix of a lot of parts of veneered lumber glued together to give additional structural capabilities. Typically employed in window or door frames.
Masonry Opening:
The house in a masonry wall left open for the window or door.
Conference rail (also lock rail):
1 of the two horizontal members of a double-hung sash which appear together. A verify rail.
Conference stile:
The vertical member in a pair of stiles, as in abutting casement home windows.
Mold stone (also jamb stone):
A stone that serves as a window jamb.
A slot or rectangular cavity minimize into a piece of wooden to acquire one more aspect.
Mortise and tenon:
A powerful wooden joint manufactured by fitting together a mortise in a single board and a matching projecting member (tenon) in the other.
A vertical member (typically wooden or metallic) to structurally be part of two window or door models.
Vertical or horizontal bars employed to different glass in a sash into several lights. Typically referred to as a grille.
Nailing Fin:
A vinyl or aluminum extension attached to the frame of a window or door which produces a favourable seal be¬tween the window and the framed wall. Acts as an additional barrier against air and h2o leakage. Screws or nails are fastened via the fin to keep the device in the opening.
NFRC label:
NFRC stands for the National Fenestration Rat¬ings Council. This non-revenue trade group sets vitality requirements for home windows – the NFRC label shows every little thing you will need to know about the window you are
taking into consideration.
North-light roof:
Sawtooth roof with north-facing clerestory home windows.
Ogee curve (also ogee molding):
Reverse flex curve typically identified in window moldings and trim parts.
Operable window:
Window which can be opened for ventilation.
A metallic arm and gear attached to a window which al¬lows for straightforward operation.
Palladian window:
A huge, arch-top rated window flanked by scaled-down home windows on each individual aspect.
Ordinarily refers to the glazed panel or panels in a door frame.
Parting slip:
A thin wooden strip separating the sash weights in the bodyweight box of each individual jamb of previous double-hung home windows.
Parting quit:
A vertical strip on each individual jamb that separates the sash of a double-hung window.
Photograph window:
Large fixed home windows.
Pivot window models:
Window models in which the sash hardware is situated in close proximity to the midpoint of the stile or rail to allow sash rotation.
Key sash:
Balanced or moving sash of a window device.
Key window:
Window with solitary or several glazing. A storm sash may well be mounted.
Projected window:
Awning type window that swings possibly inwards or outwards at the top rated or the bottom. The window typically may well be cleaned from the inside.
A diamond- or square-formed glass piece established diagonally. A medieval term for tiny panes of glass established diagonally in Gothic home windows.
Queen Anne window:
A window with tiny glass home windows or lights organized in various sorts, typically only on the higher sash. Appeared l870s.
Horizontal member of a window sash or door panel.
Plastic or wooden molding put in a concrete or masonry opening for a uniform groove for a spline-type gasket to keep window glass.

Reversible extension blind quit:
An extension blind quit that is rabbetted to acquire l/2 or twenty five/32-in. sheathing.
Tough Opening:
A framed opening in which the device will be mounted.
The measurement of resistance to heat transfer in a substance. The bigger the R-Worth, the better the insulation benefit.
Framework of stiles and rails in which the glass of a window or door is established.
Saddle bar:
Gentle metal bar positioned horizontally across a window to stiffen leaded glazing.
Saddle bead:
Glazing bead for securing two panes.
Sash lock:
A lock applied to the window to pull the sash tightly against the frame (casement) or to pull the verify rails together (double-hung) in get to seal the sash from temperature and for protection.
One-hung window:
Window identical to double-hung window, other than the top rated sash is stationary.
Seat board:
A flat board minimize to in good shape the contour of a bow or bay window and mounted amongst the sill and the wall surface area, supplying a seat or a shelf house for plants, etc.
Shading coefficient:
Decimal benefit which is the solar get of a window, divided by the solar get for a apparent solitary-glass
window of the very same dimension. The shading coefficient of apparent, double-glazing is about .85 to .nine.
Facet light: A fixed, typically slim glass window future to a door opening or window opening.
Sill: Horizontal member at the bottom of the window frame.
Simulated divided lights: A strategy in developing home windows or doors in which muntins are fixed to the inside and outdoors of the insulated glass panel to simulate the glance of a genuine divided light. Present day Divided Light® in EAGLE terminology.
One glazing: Use of solitary panes of glass in a window sash or door panel. Not as effective as double glazing.
One-hung window: Window identical to double-hung window, other than the top rated sash is stationary.
Slide-by window: Home windows which slide horizontally.
Smartwindow: Generic term that refers to home windows with switchable coatings to management solar get.
Sound frame: Window frame manufactured from a solitary piece of lumber.
Seem-insulating glass (also audio-resistive glass): Double glass fixed on resilient mountings and divided so as to lower audio transmission.
Splayed window: Window device established at an angle in a wall.
Stacked home windows: Merged grouping of awning, casement, or non-operative home windows to variety a huge glazed device.
Stile: Vertical member of a window sash or door panel.
Stile Lug or Horn: 1 of two extensions of the sash stiles to help the higher sash of a double-hung window.
Storm clip: Unit attached to the muntin of a metallic sash to quit the pane from moving outwards.
Stool: An interior trim on a window which extends the sill and functions as a slim shelf. Typically noticed on double-hung window.
Prevent: A wooden trim member nailed to a window frame to keep, place or different window elements.
Tandem lock: A locking program which secures the window at two locking points by the operation of a single lever.
Tempered glass: Particular heat-addressed, significant-energy basic safety glass which shatters into pebble-sized particles and not in slivers.
Tenon: A rectangular projection minimize out of a piece of wooden for insertion into a mortise.
Thermal split: A thermal insulating barrier amongst two thermally conductive materials.
Transom joint: Horizontal member separating a door from a window panel higher than the door, or separating a single window higher than one more.
Transom: Compact window situated higher than a door or one more window.
Top hung-in window: An awning window pivoted at the top rated and with the bottom swinging-in.
Transom (also transom bar):
Horizontal member separating a door from a window panel higher than the door, or separating a single window higher than one more.
Triple glazing:
A few panes of glass with two air spaces amongst, com¬monly consisting of an insulating glass with a different storm sash. Also obtainable in an insulating window in a solitary frame.
Triple window:
Usually refers to any tripartite group of home windows with square heads. Uncovered on Colonial Revival properties. Units counsel Palladian home windows but are significantly less high priced to assemble.
Measurement of heat transfer via a given mate¬rial. The lower the U-Worth, the superior the insulation benefit.
Venetian window:
Very same as Palladian window.
Vertical sliding window:
1 or extra sash that move in a vertical way.
Look at sash:
Photograph window with the lights divided by muntins.
Venting device:
A window or door that operates or opens for ventilation.
Clean minimize:
Beveled minimize in a stone sill to divert h2o.
Water drip:
Molding often employed on exterior surfaces of an in-swinging casement sash to avoid h2o from remaining pushed about the sill.
A strip of resilient substance applied to the perimeter of the sash and/or frame of a window or door to lower the possible for h2o and air infiltration.
Weep minimize (also drip minimize):
Groove in the underside of a horizontal board or masonry device which tasks over and above the wall assistance down below to avoid h2o from moving again towards the wall surface area.
Head window jamb in a box window frame.
Yorkshire light:
Window with a single or extra fixed sash and a horizontally moving sash.
The pressure exerted on a surface area by moving air.