HOW TO ESTABLISH URBAN GARDEN FOR FUN AND PROFIT
Urban gardening is ideal in the city or town where your space for planting is limited. If you’re employed in the city and you’ve no time to go to the province to do your farming activities, then urban gardening is best for you.
Benefits you can get from urban gardening:
- It could be therapeutic. Tending your plants early in the morning or after office hours relieves you from stress in the workplace and in the home.
- It could be enjoyable. When you see your plants with attractive flowers and vigorous growth, your imagination wanders like you’re in heaven with a happiness and satisfaction you can’t explain.
- Generate additional income. You can sell your extra plants to others if you think they are surplus for your personal needs. The city is a ready market because there are plenty of people and there’s the purchasing power.
- Reduce waste accumulation. You can recycle used materials such as; tin cans and plastics, sachets, tin foils for potting, Styrofoam for seed boxes, biodegradable products for composting, and others.
Strategies in Urban Gardening
- Select the right crops to grow, depending on the purpose or purposes of going into urban gardening.
- Identify a particular target market if you’re into commercial production.
- Develop your own passion or specialization and concentrate on that line.
- You can rent or borrow vacant lot.
- You can use your roof top if you have any.
- You can create plant boxes along your fence and walkways.
- You can grow plants in pots and other containers.
What kind of plants are ideal for urban gardening
You can grow all kinds of plants from fruits, vegetables, and ornamentals.
- Fruits. You can grow fruits if not in the ground, you can plant them in containers, e. g. citrus,